Girls Inc. of Northwest Oregon inspires girls, ages 8-18, to be strong, smart, and bold. Our gender-specific programs and research-based curricula provide girls with the confidence and self-esteem to access a bright and economically-independent future.
The mission of Girls Inc. of NW Oregon is to inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold. Our vision is empowered girls and an equitable society. We have been providing programming to girls 8-18 in the greater Portland area since 1998 as a local grass-roots organization originally known as Girls Initiative Network. We became an affiliate of the national organization, Girls Incorporated® in 2005. The national roots of Girls Incorporated ® date back to the Industrial Revolution. Girls Incorporated provides the 90 affiliate organizations across the US and Canada with program research, development, training and advocacy support. Today, our affiliate network serves 125,000 girls ages 6 – 18 annually across the United States and Canada. All Girls Inc. programs are designed to empower girls with the skills, tools and self-confidence they need to become leaders in their communities, learn to use their voices for change, and to grow into economically independent women.
Our primary outlet for program implementation is our after school Girls Groups. Each group is made up of 12-15 girls from no more than two consecutive grades. Groups meet weekly with professionally trained Girls Inc. facilitators for 90 minutes over three eight-week terms. Each term Girls Groups cover the age-appropriate module of one of our researched, proven curricula.
Our menu of curricula includes:
- Allies in Action teaches girls how to overcome relational aggression, or bullying;
- Friendly PEERsuasion® offers gender-specific drug and alcohol abuse prevention;
- Operation SMART® introduces girls to science, math, and technology-related careers;
- Economic Literacy® teaches girls to manage and invest money;
- Media Literacy® teaches girls to interpret, critically analyze and respond to media messages;
- Leadership and Community Action celebrates the heritage of girls and women as trailblazers and agents of social change, girls realize their own power as community resources and trustees of the common good;
- Preventing Adolescent Pregnancy® Girls acquire the knowledge and skills for taking charge of and making informed decisions about their sexual health.